Monday, July 12, 2010

Dear God: HELP!!! (asking for help!)

I cannot tell you how many times I wish I had a 1-800 # to call to get me in touch with "supernanny" or "a mom who knows." That is part of the reason why I started this blog. I am a single mother; I know how hard it is to do what we do. And not just do it but do it well. A good parent is a good parent, regardless of their marital status. And in many cases, the single parent and the children are much better off without the absent parent. So my topic this time is asking for help.
I know how hard that is to do. Most of us have been burned at least once; we are going to do this ourselves if it kills us! No one is going to get one over on us again, darn it! I am not a stranger to that mentality. I have been there; done that!
Which is why I speak from years of experience when I tell you that type of mentality is not helping you or your children one bit!
As I said in a previous blog, my second child, Malcolm, was the product of a one night stand. After Malcolm was born, we lived in a shelter for two months. When Malcolm was six weeks old, I got a good job with the County government. After two months, I then went to live at a transitional living facility run by the Salvation Army. I didn't have to do that. I could've continued living in the apartment I had and struggled. I didn't do it that way because of financial issues. I wasn't rich but I was working and paying the rent. However, I needed to rest. I needed to rest my mind, body and spirit. I needed that time to regroup. I needed someone to be my cheerleader for a time. I did it that way because I realized for the first time since having my first child, Sean, I could no longer do it alone. Malcolm was avery big wake up call for me.
There are countless organizations that can help. I urge you to put down your pride for a moment, for your children's sake, and seek them out. Local churches have food pantries and can help with clothing. The Salvation Army is a huge resource! They have programs to help low income people buy a car (with a no interest loan), they provide drug/alcohol rehabilitation, they have churches nationwide, they help with food, clothing, housing, utility expenses.
Their is a non profit which I love that provides bundles of low cost food to low income families. You can look it up on the web; http://angelfoodministries.com. It is a nationwide program which sells packages of food for about $30.00 that will feed a family of four for a week! They also sell produce and meat packages.
Also, don't be embarrassed to shop at thrift stores. When it's back to school time, I go there first. Many people discard stuff that they don't like or just need to get rid of for whatever reason. You can find stuff in brand new condition for very little $$$.
There is an organization here in Florida called healthy start. For the first year of your baby's life, a worker comes to your home once or twice a week just to talk with you and offer emotional support. This is a free service! You can find out about it at your local WIC (women, infants and children) or your local department of children and families. This worker not only counsels you, she/he supplies you with diapers, bottles, clothing when these items are available and on a limited basis. But go on the internet and google "pregnancy centers." A pregnancy center not only helps pregnant women, but for the first couple of years of your baby's life, you can go there once or twice a month for diapers, formula and clothing for your baby. This is another non profit agency that is there to assist you. My local pregnancy center, called Tampa Bay Pregnancy Center, asks for a $2 donation (not mandatory) for a bag of a dozen diapers and a bag with about 5-6 outfits in it for my child. I can go there once a month.
You can get referrals from your local department of children and families for child care. Your local county should have a program for low income people to get child care at a reduced rate.
Also, if they are supportive, call on family and friends for a break when needed. Only if they are supportive. If they are not supportive, find new friends and/or family. You can't choose your family but you can choose your friends!
I hate to even bring this up, but last but not least, if your partner is hurting you and/or your children, call your local domestic violence shelter! Now! You and your children deserve more! Don't hesitate; there is nothing to think about here. You do not deserve to be abused! The only way an abuser will change is when they run out of people to abuse. Do not think he/she will change for you! There is a 411 directory you can call (in Florida) for all kinds of resources to help you. Other states have their own version of 411, as well. But for God's sake, leave now. It is not going to be easy, no doubt, but you just might save your children's, and your own, life! Love should not hurt!
My oldest son's father was a convicted felon. I found this out after I was pregnant. To put it bluntly, he was a convicted child molester. His attorney helped to get him released after serving two years of a twenty year prison sentence on a legal technicality. I left him the same day I gave birth to Sean. I struggled. I cried. I mourned. I sought counseling. I took antidepressants to help with the stress. But I.....DID........IT........and you can too! Trust me; I've been there. God has something special in mind for you. Don't doubt it for a minute. He brought you this far; He's not going to abandon you now.
I was told by my new landlord, a single mother who raised five boys by herself after her husband died, "Just take your hard knocks and do it by yourself, Connie! You and that baby deserve better!" She was right. We do. And so do you. But you don't have to do it by yourself--there are countless resources available to you. God is always available 24/7. He's waiting right now for you to ask for help...waiting to perform His next miracle. And He will; believe it. I am living proof!!

2 comments: