Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Dear God: HELP!!! (one day at a time)

I deleted my last post because I don't think it was very positive. It was honestly how I felt but I shouldv'e prayed before I sat down to write.
I have been unemployed for over a year now. I have worked part time at menial jobs (which is what I'm doing now -- working part time at a menial job) but have not had full time work in over a year. I got offered a job with the city as a 911 operator but they are now on a hiring freeze so they can not hire me but they told me I am the next person they are calling when the hiring freeze lifts. Great! Not helping me now though.
I am not worried about bills. I am managing. What bothers me is I do not feel productive. That is another reason why I started this blog. I also just registered for two classes at the community college for next semester but that's a month away.
So I decided to join a gym. I went down to our local YMCA and asked for a membership application (they have an "open doors" scholarship. That is, they give you a membership at a reduced rate based on your income) My older son and I could benefit a great deal from the exercise. And they have child care for the two year old while we work out.

I went to visit a long time friend today too. She helped me put this picture up on my profile! (I didn't want a full shot because the sun is not kind to my skin here in Florida during the summer! Perhaps I'm too vain. Nah. I just like to look my best when it's at all possible!)
It was good getting out and socializing. I haven't been doing that enough. FB is great for that but there is nothing like seeing someone face to face or hearing their voice on the phone.
I also saw an old friend I knew from AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) the other day. It must have been about 15 years. I didn't even recognize her! She started drinking again. Based on the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, there is no "cure" for this disease. Of course, some people doubt whether it actually is a disease. I find myself somewhere in the middle on this issue. Let me just say this: when I knew her in AA, she looked much healthier, happier, full of life and energy. Now she looks worn out. I admired her because she was a young single mother at the time (like I am now.) Now her children are grown up.
All any of us can do is take life one day at a time. Another old friend who I haven't seen in a long time (I told you about his blog in one of my posts) is in hiatus, it seems. I am worried about him a little, too, because I know he was going through some things.
And with this, my dear readers, I have to say it is time for me to pray. We all have our own lives and all of us are very busy (me, with trying to get this blog off the ground now) but take a moment to say a kind word to a stranger that looks worried, help an old lady cross the street, buy a homeless person something to eat, tell your wife/husband/son/daughter/sister/brother/mother/father that you love them just the way they are!
Above all else, live for today because tomorrow is not promised. To any of us. And when you don't feel productive, maybe you don't need to be busy at this particular moment of your life. Maybe God wants you to sit back and enjoy what life is really about: love and friendship and helping others. (while looking for a full time job, of course!) God bless, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment