Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Dear God: HELP!!! (struggles of the single parent)

Your ten year old wants permission to walk to the park by himself. I say, "No. I don't think that is a good idea." He persists. Meanwhile, while he is pleading his case with the likeness of a second year law student (who has a very successful career ahead of him), your two year old is standing on the arm of the couch attempting to fly to the recliner on the other side of the room. Now he is saying, "Look, Mommy. Look, Sean. I gonna jump! Wash dis!" It is 3:00 in the afternoon and the kiddies are restless. Our air conditioner is on the fritz again. We live in Florida, too. Today it is 99 in the shade. Knock. Knock. The two year old runs to the door. The ten year old stops his closing argument for the moment and looks at me as if to say, "don't even think of asking me to get that. I'm not through with you yet." Folds arms across chest. Lifts chin. Stoic. Eyes ablaze. Oh, he is a warrior fighting for justice right now. "who is it?" I ask. "maintenance," I shoot Sean a warning glance and open the door. "here to fix your a/c, Ma'am. What's the problem?" I look at him, incredulous. He smiles. "I mean, what's it doing?" I smile too. "Nothing," I deadpan. My eyes assess the children, the maintenance man, pleasant enough, but none too happy to be here for the 3rd time already and it is still only the beginning of July, to fix the a/c again. I sigh, though it is silently. I put on a happy face for my children, the maintenance man, and, uh, God, who I silently pray to. I live in public housing. I have two children. One is ten, he is a good kid. He gets A's and B's and goes to a public charter school for the arts. He, like his father, who I'm no longer with, is a natural born artist. The two year old is from a serious night of passion while Mom was trying to destress from raising the then, 8 year old. Should've prayed to God then, too, instead. But then, I wouldn't have this lively, energetic, God-given gift to behold, whom I named Malcolm. No regrets. Anyhow, this is my life. I am a single mother of two. I wrote this little personal glimpse into my personal life as an introduction to you, from me, Connie, the author of this blog. This is my account of raising two children by myself while trying to keep my faith in the Almighty and go through all the commons problems all parents face, but single parents, face alone: teachers, daycare, paying the rent, dealing with guilt, kids getting sick, other people judging, work, juggling everything..........if any of this sounds like familiar struggles to you, then, my friend, you are not alone. This is my opening post. I hope to ease your burden (and my own) by sharing my journey of single parenthood with you. Dear God: HELP!!! (I not only believe in miracles; I depend on them!)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to be the first to comment. I wish you continued success on your blog. May you find peace and hope in our Saviour and have the spirit guide your words.

    Ed

    ReplyDelete